Saturday, February 5, 2011

Catching Up From Last Week

I'm posting what happened last weekend so I can catch up to the present. Here is what I wrote last week:

Hi!
On Saturday we had a field trip to the Museum of the Moving Image. This basically means we went to a movie museum and it was AWESOME. They have so many artifacts of film equipment-- some even dating back to the 1800s.

They have cameras, early sound recording devices, film, lighting instruments, and televisions.

They had a Zoetrope, which is a simple spinning device that gives the illusion of a moving picture.






They also had Kinetoscopes, which are large boxes that one can look into and watch a small film in. In order to watch the film, one has to crank a wheel on the side of the box.
I got to dub my voice on a clip of The Wizard of Oz and watch the movie with Judy Garland using my voice. It was pretty cool. However, I'll leave the acting to her. My voice is definitely not as pleasant as hers! After the museum, we went to lunch with our teacher, Joe. We went to a really great, low key Greek place. The chicken souvlaki and tzaziki sauce was out of this world. (Almost as good as it was in Athens but not quite).

On Sunday I went to the Russian Tea Room for lunch to take advantage of Restaurant Week. Restaurant Week happens once a year in NYC for the purpose of letting normal people get to try food at crazy expensive restaurants. For instance, at this place a cup of coffee costs $8. On their restaurant week menu, one could order three courses for $24. So we took advantage of the fixed menu! For an appetizer I had a blinchki, which is like a crepe, filled with goat cheese and mushrooms with a balsamic reduction. For the main course I had baked salmon in a fluffy pastry with cream sauce.
Lastly, for dessert, I ordered the chocolate mousse which had a raspberry sauce in the center. It was definitely a gourmet meal! And for a great price.

Okay, I have a confession to make. I intended on going to this church called Redeemer on Sunday that people from Baylor recommended. They had a night service at 5:45. We got done with lunch around 2:30. I had time to kill in Manhattan and everyone else went back home so I went by myself to wander around Times Square. I am entranced by anything to do with Broadway so I thought, why not.

I walked up and down 7th Avenue and saw the Box Office for The Lion King, Memphis, Phantom, etc. and then I chanced upon the box office for American Idiot, the musical that has all of Green Day's music.





I am not particularly a huge Green Day fan but my friend Mallory told me that it was a pretty cool show and that I would like it. So I wandered in and asked if they had any student rush tickets for later that night. The guy said, well we have some for right now. I was like, oh okay sure! So I literally wandered in the box office, bought a cheap ticket, and was seated in the 4th row. The music was phenomenal. I'm not a huge Green Day fan, but the show was fantastic. It was a rock show but with highly stylized musical numbers. Pretty Awesome.

Best part was that the lead singer of Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong, was in it. He was absolutely amazing live. I was star srtuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment